BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Pages

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Nice Surprise

I do not like running outside. When you add elements like wind, hills, heat, uneven ground......my endurance goes down, my clumsiness increases and I just plain STINK. That said, not many 5ks are performed on a treadmill.

I got my new toy today. And after much to do trying to get the phucin thing to work. I took it out for a test run! I seriously had NO endurance, and was dying after 7 minutes (even though my past two runs have been 25 minutes straight on the treadmill). Well low and behold, I find out that outdoors I am running at a much faster "natural pace". While on the treadmill, I stick to 4.5 as my high speed for a long run (13:20 minute Mile). Out doors I was running at a pace for a 9:30 minute mile!

If I hadn't calibrated my foot pod, I wouldnt have believed it. Heck, I didnt. So I "mapmyrun"ed it, and sure as heck, thats about right! Due to that though, I did have to slow it down and pace myself better. But I'm happy to know that my natrual pace isnt QUITE as slow as I thought it was!
Photobucket

1 comments:

Stephanie said...

I discovered the same thing the first time I ran outdoors. Now, when I'm on the treadmill I set my speed for .3 faster than my last outdoor run time. This is a good way to do speedwork. Don't forget that your easy runs will now build your endurance to run longer as well.